Saturday, September 3, 2011

Decision Making While Running Language Lesson

The Selected Lesson:-
The lesson I’ll select to teach my students is Past Simple Tense. To teach it I have to make a number of decisions before, during and after the lesson. These decisions are discussed in details below.
Decisions Before Teaching:-
Decision
How to Get Information
Is Information Alright
How much to teach
The level of the students will tell me how much I should teach them, the previous test results, class room records will tell how much they have already learnt.
Normal
Abilities of the Students
The level of the students, the age will tell me what abilities students have. Their previous schooling and socio-cultural background will help me to decide about their abilities. This information I can get from previous school records and in informal conversations with students.
Normal
The Materials to Teach
What kind of books should I provide them, local or Oxford etc. and how they should be guided by materials. I’ll get such information by examining their class room behavior, their understanding of the materials already provided, their motivation towards learning, previous test results etc.
Good
What Learning Activities are Suitable
The level of the students, their previous knowledge, their schooling, their socio-cultural background, the interest and motivation in already going on activities, informal conversations with students and their previous class room participation will guide me whether I should teach them in a controlled situation or I should provide them room for communication, whether they have right to interact with each other or I would be the pivot point of the class.
Normal
What Learning Targets I Would Like My Students to Achieve
I’ll analyse on the basis of the previous test and examination results, previous progress reports and previous speed of learning. Then I’ll decide to set a target for my students in learning tenses. I’ll try to find how much they had learnt about grammar previously and how much they retain the knowledge now. This all will help me find the accurate learning target.
Normal
Organization and Arrangement of the Class
How the class room and students will be organized is a decision which I’d like to make before teaching the lesson. The level of the class, the previous results, the number of students, the interest level, the available equipments, the availability of space in class room, previous well worked class room arrangements will help me find a best class room arrangement for this lesson.
Good


Decisions During Teaching:-
Decision
How to Get Information
Is Information Alright
Are they getting what I want to teach them?
It is a crucial decision which should be made during lesson running. The interest, motivation, answers to questions, taking part in activities, responding promptly and active energetic faces will tell me about the well running of the lesson. My observation will help me decide to change the lesson sequence if the students are getting bored or not getting the point I want to teach them.
Good
Enhancing the Effectiveness of the Lesson
To teach better and to run the lesson better, I’ll have to focus on the errors the students making during the lesson. Whether they are not able to use past forms of verbs, whether they are not able to get correct Subject Verb Agreement patterns or whether they are having problem with vocabulary. All these things will tell me during the lesson what should I do to revise and improve the lesson and the situation.
Good
Feedback to the Students
The errors they have made in class room, the motivation they have shown in class room, the diagnosis of their class room participation and individual informal observation of weak students will able me to provide fruitful feedback to the students. So they may be able to correct the errors, to practice the weak areas.
Good
Have They Learnt All
The lesson exercises, the activities performed in class room, the informal observation of the students during lesson, command over structures and ability to communicate in desired format, writing of stories in past simple tense all are few ways which will tell me where they are standing now. They will help me decide whether I should move forward or stay there and revise the strategies of the lesson to overcome the deficiencies.
Good

Decisions After Teaching:-
Decision
How to Get Information
Is Information Alright
Overall Progress
The goal is to master all tenses of English language. The mastery of past simple will determine how much they have gained. The results of this lesson, the motivation, the participation and the way how lesson worked in real time will tell how much they have got for long run. Thus the next strategies might be revised.
Normal
Strengths and Weaknesses
The results of the tests, the frequent errors and the weak areas I found during informal classroom observation will help me decide where the students are weak. The continuous errors in verb conjugation, for example, will help me decide that student is weak in this area. Thus I’d be able to give feedback to their parents who may provide extra help to their children.
Normal
Grade of the Students
The lesson test results, the mastery of structures, the ability to write in past tense and spoken aspect of the lesson will help me decide the grade of the students.
Normal
Effectiveness of the Teaching
Notes I’ve taken during class, the students’ informal observation, the participation, the motivation and interest will help me decide the effectiveness of the teaching method.
Normal
Effectiveness of Materials
The used materials, the attitude towards the materials, the interest in activities provided by these materials, my personal observation, and the students’ feedback about the material are the ways which will enable me to use same kind of material in next classes of change it with another batter one.
Good


No comments: